Saturday, 28 November 2009

Other considerations and resources

"Our market share of UK retailing is 12.5% - that leaves 87.5% to go after"
Terry Leahy, Tesco Chief Executive, quoted in Management Today 1

TESCO - A Corporate Profile (parts 1-4)

20,000 Jobs Created, thousands of livelihoods destroyed
Tesco now controls over 30% of the grocery market in the UK. In 2009, the supermarket chain announced profits of over £3bn. Growing evidence indicates that Tesco's success is partly based on trading practices that are having serious consequences for suppliers, farmers and workers worldwide, local shops and the environment.
Our demands
The Tescopoly Alliance is calling for:
- A block on any new take-overs by Tesco or other major supermarkets.
- Stronger planning policies to protect local shops and High Streets.
- A legally binding supermarket code of practice to ensure that all farmers, at home and overseas, are treated fairly.
- An independent watchdog with teeth to protect the interests of consumers, farmers and small retailers.
- Rules to protect workers' rights at home and overseas.
"Unbelievable though it may be, Tesco is actually looking to make job cuts on the day it claims to be the consumers' friend. We do not accept these cuts are either necessary or ethical. How can a multi-billion pound outfit attack the pay, terms and conditions of those people it relies on to get its goods to the stores?"
Ron Webb, T&G national secretary for transport
In Chard in March 2006 local GMB activists organised a demonstration outside Tesco when the company pulling a contract from a local employer resulted in 850 job losses in the South West, and 500 in Chard alone.

"Tesco has been among the most active retailers testing RFID technology."
-RFID Journal

"This website reveals the shocking truth about Tesco's serious and widespread overcharging of its customers by leaving out-of-date prices and offers on display in stores."

Town ‘lost £3.5 million trade to Tesco’

Rivals estimate that Tesco's Slough store has benefited from an extra £200,000 a week of sales while the Co-op store has been closed.

Concerned Tesco community (lots of ex-employees)

Cambridge campaign against the 14th Tesco store in the area, which wasted lots of Tesco's money and has prevented them (so far) from having an alcohol license or much custom

Did you know that Tesco is heavily subsidised? - - Tesco

No comments:

Post a Comment